About 'Writing With Dark' - Photography by Art Harman
I am a Washington, DC-based professional photographer, and am available for commercial, event, documentary, fine arts, and editorial photography, as well as advanced photographic processing and restoration, and videography and post-production editing. Local or on any assignment.
Personal and Family Events
• Parties, birthday parties, anniversaries and reunions.
• Portraits, headshots, family and group shots.
• Profile photos for social media.
• Society events, concerts, receptions.
• Sports events.
• Insurance inventory photos and videos.
• Weddings, receptions and proposals (& surprise proposals!).
• Corporate events, meetings, galas, banquets and receptions.
• Photos of your store, business or restaurant for the web, social media and Yelp.
• Architectural and interior photos for Realtors, builders, developers, magazines
• High resolution photographs of artwork for print production. Can shoot glass framed items without glare.
• News and editorial photography -- what event do you need covered?
• Product photography, trade shows.
• PR events, news conferences, public rallies, demonstrations and marches.
• Congressional hearings, Hill visits, receptions, fundraisers and briefings.
• Political candidate shots in the best locations in official Washington.
• Creative, nighttime, HDR, slow-shutter and unusual photography.
Photo Processing and Video Editing
• Expert Photoshop processing of any photo, wrinkle-removal, retouching, special effects, HDR and other advanced processing.
• I can restore your old and damaged photos.
• Advanced video editing and special effects.
Please contact me for a competitive price for my excellent services.
There's a rare moment many photographers and artists may know. It's when you look through the viewfinder or the computer screen and suddenly realize the shot or image is exactly perfect. It's almost a magical shiver; it hits you and you just stop. Click the shutter; save the file; don't touch a thing. The next photo or the next edit cannot equal it.
There's another moment too; the one which makes it all worthwhile. When a viewer seems truly touched. When the second remark is greater than the first.
My inspiration for photography began early as my parents returned from a trip to Asia with images of an exotic world of mystery and adventure. Before long I was outfitted with a Kodak Brownie camera and learned how to use our darkroom. The photographic techniques I learned growing up transcended the film era to digital.
My interests include a strong passion for night photography--hence "Writing With Dark;" as well as spacecraft, architecture, landscapes, clouds, nature, official Washington and D.C. landmarks; and a different angle on about anything! Often my work involves a slow shutter--which ironically 'speeds up' the action in the shot.
Please visit again to see new photos, and I look forward to your comments.
You can also view some of my photos on my National Geographic page:
Photos at Smithsonian Magazine:
As a public service to photographers and to protect our first Amendment rights, I drafted a bill in Congress to prohibit the practice of government agencies to prohibit or limit the rights of people to take photographs on public property, H.R. 5893, the "Ansel Adams Act."
Esquire Magazine wrote a good review of the bill.
Thank you for visiting, and please share the site with your friends.
"It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head."
"If I saw something in my viewfinder that looked familiar to me, I would do something to shake it up."
"The far greater number of photography is capturing moments in life that would too quickly fade unless we had a picture of them."