About 'Writing With Dark' - Photography by Art Harman
I am an award-winning professional photographer and a filmmaker, and am available for commercial, event, documentary, fine arts, action and editorial photography, as well as advanced photographic processing and restoration, and film/videography and post-production editing. Local or on any assignment. I am based in the Washington, DC, Northern Virginia and Suburban Maryland region, including Arlington, Alexandria, Falls Church, Fairfax, Prince William, Loudoun, Montgomery and Prince Georges.
Personal and Family Events
• Parties, birthday parties, anniversaries and reunions.
• Portraits, headshots, family and group shots.
• Profile photos for social media.
• Society events, concerts, receptions.
• Sports events.
• Insurance inventory photos and videos. Loss evidence.
• Creative portraits of your home, car, boat, airplane, etc.
• Weddings, receptions and proposals (& surprise proposals!).
Business, Conferences, Real Estate, News, Products
• Corporate events, conferences, meetings, galas, banquets and receptions.
• Photos of your store, business or restaurant for the web, social media and Yelp, Trip Advisor, etc.
• Creative photos for Real estate, AirBnb, property, architectural and interior photos for Realtors, house sharing, builders, landlords, renters, developers, magazines. I use special lenses and lighting to make your property look its best.
• High resolution photographs of artwork for print production. Expert at shooting glass framed items without glare.
• News and editorial photography -- what event do you need covered?
• Product photography, Amazon sales photos and graphics, trade shows, eBay, etc.
Washington DC, Official and Political
• PR events, news conferences, public rallies, demonstrations and marches.
• Congressional hearings, Capitol Hill visits, lobbying, receptions, galas, fundraisers and briefings.
• Political candidate and Member shots at the most powerful locations in official Washington.
• Political ads and videos.
• Group travel photography--a pro photographer will create memorable images for all members of the tour, enhancing the value of your tour. Photographic-oriented expeditions and adventures around the USA an world.
• Assignment photography anywhere in the world.
• Individual and group instruction, tutoring and training in photographic and processing techniques, composition and realising your artistic ideas. What's the difference between a 'snapshot' and a work of art? How can you see what the pros see? How to make even phone photos look awesome. From beginner to intermediate to advanced.
• Photographic expeditions.
Artistic, Creative, Fine Arts
• Creative, nighttime, HDR, slow-shutter, fine arts and unusual photography. Let's create an image that is perfect for your building, website, promotional materials, etc.
Photo Processing, Restoration, Scanning
• Expert Photoshop processing of any photo, wrinkle-removal, retouching, color correction, sharpen, remove grain, special effects, HDR and other advanced processing.
• I can restore your old and damaged photos.
• Remove distracting things from your photos.
• Colorize your old black and white photos.
• Scan to digital your old photos, negatives and slides--and enhance them!
• Videography--video your events, create ads, PSAs, etc.
• Advanced film and video editing and special effects.
• Digital conversion of video tape from the following formats: VHS, SVHS, DVC-Pro, Betacam SP, Hi-8, 3/4" U-Matic.
• Audio recording of events.
• Post-production enhancement, noise reduction, mixing. CD creation.
• Digitizing and restoration of your old cassettes and reel to reel tapes.
Please contact me for a competitive price for my excellent services.
There's a rare moment many photographers and artists may know. It's when you look at the viewfinder, artwork, or the computer screen and suddenly realize the shot or image is exactly perfect. It's almost a magical shiver; it hits you and you just stop. Click the shutter; save the file; don't touch a thing. The next photo or the next edit cannot equal it.
There's another moment too; the one which makes it all worthwhile. When a viewer seems truly touched. When the second remark is greater than the first.
My inspiration for photography began early when my parents returned from a trip to Asia with images of an exotic world of mystery and adventure. Before long I was outfitted with a Kodak Brownie camera and learned how to use our darkroom and more advanced and unique cameras. The photographic techniques I learned growing up transcended the film era to digital.
My interests include a strong passion for night photography--hence "Writing With Dark;" as well as spacecraft, architecture, landscapes, clouds, nature, official Washington and D.C. landmarks; and a different angle on about anything! Often my work involves a slow shutter--which ironically 'speeds up' the action in the shot.
Please visit periodically to see new photos. Thank you to all who have sent messages of appreciation and encouragement from my photographs. I look forward to your comments.
Photos at Smithsonian Magazine:
Award winning photo at FotoWeek:
Award winning photo at Aviation Week and Space Technology Magazine:
Public Service Project
As a public service to photographers and to protect our first Amendment rights, I drafted a bill in the 113th Congress to prohibit the practice of government agencies to prohibit or limit the rights of people to take photographs on public property, H.R. 5893, the "Ansel Adams Act."
Esquire Magazine wrote a good review of my bill.
Thank you for visiting, and please share the site with your friends.
A few quotes that inspire me and reflect some of my vision:
"It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head."
"If I saw something in my viewfinder that looked familiar to me, I would do something to shake it up."
"The far greater number of photography is capturing moments in life that would too quickly fade unless we had a picture of them."
"Photography is an art of observation. It’s about finding something interesting in an ordinary place…I’ve found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them."